Applying to UC Santa Cruz
- Application filing period: November 1-30, 2013 (for entrance in Fall 2014)*
- The UC application is an online application and can be accessed at: www.universityofcalifornia.edu/apply
- As an international student, you may apply to UC Santa Cruz as either a freshman or a transfer student, depending on your level of education.
*Please note: We do not have a spring term enrollment option.
Did you Know?
Go Banana Slugs!
As one of the ten campuses of the esteemed University of California system of public higher education, UC Santa Cruz is committed to educating a global community, encouraging innovative research opportunities, and developing the knowledge and skills that will serve our shared future.
UC Santa Cruz is located on a 2,000 acre campus nestled in a redwood forest overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the Monterey Bay.
Total undergraduate student population: 15,978
Total graduate student population: 1,426
Population of Santa Cruz: 55,000
Due to our close proximity to the ocean, our weather is mild with a mix of sunshine, fog, and rain throughout the year, with mild winters.
At UC Santa Cruz, you will have a wide range of academic options. The campus offers majors and minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, physical and biological sciences, and social sciences. For a complete listing of undergraduate majors and minors, please click here.
The academic programs at UCSC are challenging and rigorous, and many of them are in newer fields that focus on interdisciplinary thinking. Taking advantage of the campus's proximity to centers of industry and innovation such as the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and Silicon Valley, many students at UC Santa Cruz take part in fieldwork and internships that complement their studies and provide practical experience in their fields.
Transportation & Getting Around
UC Santa Cruz welcomes you to our community! There are many resources available for you to feel comfortable and supported!
►International Education Office (visa, immigration, advising information)
►Financial Aid Information for International Students
Our campus and city bus system can get you to any destination in the Santa Cruz area, with easy access to parks, beaches, and shopping. There are buses to Amtrak trains and the San Jose International Airport. Zimride also provides a convenient option for transportation to the San Jose airport. Please reference the following links for more information on local transportation:
- San Jose International Airport (46 miles/74 kilometers away)
- San Francisco International Airport (67 miles/ 107 kilometers away)
- Highway 17 Express (Connection Santa Cruz to Silicon Valley)
- Santa Cruz Metro (Service in Santa Cruz County)
- More information
Internationally Focused Housing Options
- iFloor – a residence hall floor of approximately 30 international first-year students and 30 first-year students who apply to live in this intentional intercultural community housed within College Nine residence halls.
- International Living Center – (ILC) is a unique undergraduate apartment community made up of a mix of U.S. and international students.
UCSC has numerous, professionally staffed programs and services to ensure the safety and well being of all of our students. UCSC has its own police force and fire department as well as safety education programs that all new students are required to attend. UCSC, a very safe and welcoming campus, is a wonderful place to call home for international students.
All undergraduate students, whether they live on campus or not, are affiliated with one of ten residential colleges at UC Santa Cruz. Each college provides academic support, organizes student activities, and sponsors events that enhance the intellectual and social life of the campus in addition to housing students in small-scale residential communities. Our colleges are interdisciplinary, so all majors are welcome at all colleges.