Paying for a UCSC Education as an International Student

Qualifying for Financial Aid

To qualify for Federal, State, or University funding you must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen and you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Financial aid is not available for students with F1 or F2 Student Visas, J1 or J2 Exchange Visitor Visas, or G Series Visas.

Undergraduate Dean’s Scholarships and Awards

This award recognizes the academic achievement of non-resident students. Entering non-resident students will be considered for the Undergraduate Dean's Scholarships and Awards ranging from $12,000 to $40,000 (for freshmen) or $6,000 to $20,000 (for transfers), depending upon several factors from your admissions application. The award is intended to offset non-resident tuition and will be discontinued if the student becomes a California resident.  

More information

Scholarship Resources for International Students

International Education Financial Aid


Institute of International Education’s Funding for U.S. Study

International Student & Scholar Services Website

To see a list of undergraduate tuition and costs, please go to the UCSC Financial Aid website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does UCSC offer scholarships for international students? – If admitted to UCSC, international students will be considered for the Undergraduate Dean's Scholarships and Awards. To learn about other scholarships that might be offered, please visit the Scholarships page on the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships website.
As an international student, do I qualify for financial aid? – To qualify for financial aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
How do I know if I must pay resident or non-resident tuition as an international student?  – Please refer to the residency requirements for tuition purposes page on the Office of the Registrar’s website.
Can I get a job on campus to help pay for my expenses? – Yes -- each year about 4,000 students work in various positions on campus. Students may work up to 20 hours per week during regular school terms and full-time during school breaks such as summer vacation. International students who are employed in on-campus jobs can help pay their costs for studying and living at UCSC. Money earned through on-campus jobs should not be included in the financial certificate for first-year undergraduates. Please refer to this website for more information on F-1 student employment.

See Also