3 minutes reading

All transfer applicants, both international and domestic, are reviewed using the same application and selection process.

To be considered a junior-level transfer student, you must have completed the equivalent of 60 semester/90 quarter units of transferable collegiate/university coursework, including academic preparation in English and mathematics and preparation for your proposed major field of studies. You must have demonstrated academic success in your studies (a minimum grade point average of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale is required of nonresidents of California). You can find out more detailed information about the requirements and selection process on our Transfer Admission and Selection page.

If you have attended international and U.S. colleges or universities, both your international and U.S. courses and grades will be considered. You may also be required to demonstrate English proficiency if your first language and the language of instruction for all or most of your education is in a language other than English.

Applying to UC Santa Cruz

International Academic Records

When you apply, you must report all international coursework whether completed in the USA or in another country. Your grades/exam marks should be reported as shown on your international academic records. Do not try to convert your coursework to U.S. grades or use an evaluation done by an agency. If your grades appear as numbers, words, or percentages, report them as such in your application. You may use the Additional Comments section of the application to explain anything that is unclear or confusing in your academic record. The online UC undergraduate application for admission and scholarships gives specific instructions based on your country's educational system. Please follow these instructions carefully.

Be prepared to send an unofficial copy of your academic records if requested. You would be notified by email, so please make sure you have a working email account and that email coming from is not filtered out.

UC campuses have articulation agreements with all of the community colleges in California that detail transferability of courses and application to major preparation and general education requirements.Although UC does not have written agreements with colleges and universities outside of California, there is valuable information on ASSIST and on the UC Office of the President website.

Meeting English Composition Coursework Requirements

One of the eligibility requirements for all transfer students is two transferable courses in English composition with grades of "C" or better. If you are applying to transfer directly from an international college or university where English is not the language of instruction, you are strongly encouraged to take as much English as your curriculum will allow. English as a second language courses may not transfer to UC Santa Cruz, but your English preparation will make your application more competitive. You will need to demonstrate your English proficiency as described on the English proficiency web page.

Proof of English Proficiency

For instructions on how to satisfy UCSC's English Proficiency Requirement, please see our English Proficiency web page.