A Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) is a formal agreement ensuring fall admission in your desired proposed major, as long as you are transferring from a California community college and agree to certain conditions.
Note: UCSC no longer reviews TAG applications in October and November for early notification of TAG decisions.
TAG is not available for the Computer Science major.
UCSC TAG Step-by-Step
- Complete the UC Transfer Admission Planner (TAP).
- Submit your TAG application between September 1-30, 2021.
- Submit the UC application between November 1-30, 2021.
UCSC TAG Eligibility
The last school you attend prior to transfer must be a California community college (you may have attended colleges or universities outside of the California community college system, including institutions outside of the U.S. prior to your last term).
At the time the TAG is submitted, you must have completed a minimum of 30 UC-transferable semester (45 quarter) units.
By the end of the fall 2021 term prior to transfer, you must:
- Complete the first course in English composition
- Complete the mathematics course requirement
- Earn an overall transferable UC GPA of 3.0
In addition, by the end of the spring 2022 term prior to fall transfer, you must:
- Complete all other courses from the seven-course pattern, required for admission as a junior transfer
- Complete the minimum of 60 UC-transferable semester (90 quarter) units for admission as a junior transfer
- Complete a minimum of 30 UC-transferable semester (45 quarter units) of coursework from one or more California community colleges
- Non-native speakers of English must demonstrate proficiency in English. Please go to UCSC's English Proficiency Requirement page for more information.
- Be in good academic standing (not on academic probation or dismissal status)
- Earn no grades lower than C (2.0) in UC-transferable coursework the year prior to transfer
TAG is based on the above criteria only, including major preparation. Choice of major is not guaranteed through TAG unless the major is listed in the Screening Major Selection Criteria page. Completion of major preparation coursework and satisfaction of any major selection criteria are extremely important.
The following students are NOT eligible for UCSC TAG:
- Students in senior standing: 90 semester (135 quarter) units of combined lower- and upper-division coursework. If you only attended a California community college, you will not be considered in senior standing.
- Former UC students who are not in good standing at the UC campus they attended (less than a 2.0 GPA at UC)
- Former UCSC students, who must apply for readmission to the campus
- Students who have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher
- Students who are currently enrolled at a high school
UCSC TAG Major Preparation Selection Criteria
UCSC will be screening for completion of major preparation courses in the majors listed below. To access the criteria, please click on the link, which will take you to the screening criteria in the General Catalog.
For majors without screening criteria for transfer students, please see our Non-Screening Majors page.
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Art and Design: Games and Playable Media
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Biology, BA
- Biology, BS
- Biomolecular Engineering and Bioinformatics
- Business Management Economics
- Chemistry, BA
- Chemistry, BS
- Cognitive Science
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science: Computer Game Design
- Ecology and Evolution
- Economics/Mathematics Combined Major
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Sciences
- Environmental Studies
- Environmental Studies/Biology Combined Major
- Environmental Studies/Earth Sciences Combined Major
- Environmental Studies/Economics Combined Major
- Global Economics
- Human Biology
- Marine Biology
- Mathematics, BA
- Mathematics, BS
- Mathematics Education
- Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology
- Network and Digital Technology
- Physics (Astrophysics)
- Plant Sciences
- Robotics Engineering
- Science Education
- Technology and Information Management